This first conference on ‘Integrated Earth System Research’ (iESR) is dedicated to scientific advances towards a coherent understanding of the increasing human impacts on the Earth system, their societal consequences, and respective governance challenges. It brings together researchers from the natural, engineering, social sciences and the humanities for targeted dialogue and to intensify research collaboration.
Integrated Earth system research puts particular emphasis on:
- Approaches reaching across spatial and temporal scales and societal levels involving both the biophysical Earth system and the societal world with their dynamic interdependencies,
- Research-based reasoning of evaluation references such as planetary boundaries and planetary justice, and means of their societal negotiation, implementation and monitoring,
- Transformative approaches covering interrelated Earth system and societal world knowledge, research-based target knowledge and sustainability transformation knowledge.
The conference responds to observations and projections clearly depicting that securing a habitable Earth critically depends on societal decisions and actions in the near future. The unique coordination and transformation tasks require integrated scientific support for society towards a more sustainable Anthropocene.
The event combines keynotes and impulse talks of internationally and nationally renowned scientists and poster presentations with dialogue phases and an in-depth world café involving all participants.
- Theoretical basis and new methods and models of an ‘Integrated Earth System Research’
- Oceans and their use in the Earth system
- Water cycle and inland waters in the Earth system
- Biodiversity in the Earth system
- Bioeconomy in the Earth system
- Urban-rural interlinkages in the Earth system
- Conflicts, crises and security related to the Earth system
- Data and tools for an ‘Integrated Earth System Research’
The event will be held in presence. In addition, there will be an opportunity for virtual access.
Participation is open to all interested researchers from the natural, engineering, social sciences and the humanities. The keynotes and impulse talks are invited.
Abstracts for posters on the conference themes can be submitted till 23th October 2022. Please use the following Email address: email@example.com. The authors will receive their notification till 28th October.
Dialogues in the parallel sessions and the world café allow for contributions from all participants.
The conference language is English.
The detailed conference programme is available at the following website:
Please use the following Email address for any assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org.