A new program to address global economic challenges
- The global economic system is undergoing a fundamental transformation, with rising geopolitical tensions and the transition to a greener global economy. We need novel and improved research to address these significant challenges.
- The Kiel Institute is dedicated to lead the process as a premier European hub for research in international economics.
- We are excited to announce the launch of a new doctoral program that aims to become Europe’s leading PhD program in the field of international economics.
Key dates and details:
- Application start: 11 December 2023
- Two application deadlines:
15. January 2024 (early offers) and March 1 (late offers)
- Program start (1st cohort):
- Two main steps:
16 months of coursework/orientation and 3,5 years of research
What distinguishes us?
- A clear focus on international economics
- Academic excellence and world-leading external lecturers
- Policy relevance: we encourage students to do high quality research that matters
- A small cohort with close supervision and a collegial and supportive atmosphere, striving for at least 50% female students.
- Generous financial support and housing (5-year funding)
- Choose between the Baltic Sea and Berlin
40-years of experience
- The program builds on our 40-year track record of training postgraduate students in international economics via the Kiel Institute Advanced Studies Program (ASP). The ASP was originally a 10-months postgraduate degree, with more than 600 successful ASP alumni worldwide.
- The ASP now raises its ambitions to become a full-fledged, 5-year, high-quality doctoral program that aims for the very top.