The Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW) seeks applications for a position as
Postdoctoral Researcher in Environmental Economics
(limited for three years, EG 14)
in its research area The Environment and Natural Resources. The advertised position is supposed to contribute to the research project “Ocean-based technologies to remove carbon dioxide” (OceanNETs). The EU-funded (H2020) OceanNETs project will explore the feasibility and impacts of ocean-based NETs and demonstrate whether they can play a substantial and sustainable role in medium-to-long-term actions to limit warming (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/869357 or https://www.ifw-kiel.de/de/publikationen/medieninformationen/2020/den-ozean-als-klimaschuetzer-mobilisieren/)
The successful candidate will be part of a team with several post-doctoral researchers and PhD-students within the Kiel institute and also within the project. Being internationally renowned in research and policy consulting, the IfW provides excellent support to potential candidates who are interested in developing their career in research and policy consulting. The position is strongly research oriented. There is no teaching obligation, yet it is expected to participate and contribute to the dissemination activities in OceanNETs.
- Assessment of carbon accounting schemes in their appropriateness of assigning carbon credits to the various ocean-based negative emission technologies (including literature review, implementing schemes in a common numerical modelling framework, organize exchange with GEOMAR with respect to verification of accounting schemes in Earth System Model)
- Contributing to the analysis of emission and ocean NETs deployment scenarios with the integrated assessment model DICE.
- Contributing to the analysis of distributional implications for ocean-based NET deployment with the CGE model DART.
- Organizing and supervising the creation of a database with on exisiting and planned global ocean NETs projects; particular requirement is here to organize Hiwi-Team
- Participating in interdisciplinary exchange and collaboration within the OceanNETs.
- Presentation and discussion of methods and results with national and international project partners.
- Writing and publishing of scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals.
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following criteria:
- Doctorate degree in economics (completed or close to completion);
- Interest and experience in numerical modelling (using e.g. MATLAB) (required);
- Interest and experience in the application of integrated assessment models (required); and
- Interest in research on natural resource modelling (dynamic optimization).
The working language is English; excellent English skills are therefore required. Some knowledge of German would be useful, but is not essential.
The planned contract period is 3 years, it however depends on the individual qualification time according to (WissZeitVG § 2 Abs. 1 S. 2 and S. 3). The salary will be based on the German public sector pay scale at grade EG 14 TV L. The position is full-time, however part-time employment is possible.
The Kiel Institute is an equal opportunity employer with a certified family-friendly policy. We promote the professional opportunities of women and strongly encourage them to apply. Women with equivalent qualifications, competence and expertise will be given preference.
We are committed to employing persons with recognized disabilities and will therefore give them preference over persons without disabilities if they are equally qualified.
Please submit your application online, using your family name as the file name (Name_Application_PostDoc_Environment.pdf).
For questions regarding this position please contact
At a glance
full-time position as PostDoc in Environmental Economics (3 years)
part-time employment possible
The salary is based on the German public sector pay scale (EG 14 TV-L).
Please submit your application until August 7, 2020.