The department “International Finance and Global Governance” at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy is looking for an
for our project „Sovereign Debt Markets, Default and Sudden Stops: The 1 Million Bonds Project“.
The student would actively participate in an ambitious and international empirical research project on the loss of market access to international capital markets over the last 200 years. The collection of primary debt issuance data worldwide constitutes a big part of the project. The group holds close contact with its research network of coauthors such as Carmen Reinhart (Harvard) and Moritz Schularick (Bonn).
What we offer:
- Profound knowledge of data collection processes (using Excel)
- An international work environment surrounded by other motivated RAs and interns
- A deep insight into empirical economic research
- Attendance of Kiel Institute seminars that focus on topics in macroeconomics, intl. finance, and political economy
What we expect:
Prof. Christoph Trebesch’s team is looking for a Bachelor student (first or second year)
- who possesses a high GPA,
- is willing to code data manually by using Excel,
- has an interest in the fields of international finance, international macroeconomics and economic history,
- is able to work independently and perform his/her tasks accurately and in a structured way.
- The duration of the internship is three months
- German language skills are not required
- The start date of the internship is flexible
- A reasonable compensation will be provided
- University of Kiel students have the option of a 3-days-a-week internship in case the internship is completed during an ongoing term
- For students who are new to the city, we will help with finding accommodation and provide information on activities in and around Kiel
The Kiel Institute endeavors to increase the number of female interns employed. The Kiel Institute is committed to give preference to people with disabilities over people without disabilities if they are equally qualified.
For questions regarding this position please contact
At a glance
three month internship in an international research institute
flexible starting date and working hours
no German language skills required; help with accommodation (if new to Kiel)