The Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW) seeks applications for a position as
(International and/or Development Economics)
in its research center “Global Division of Labor”. The starting date is as soon as possible, but should be no later than early summer 2020.
You would join the third-party funded project “Special Economic Zones: A force for good to reduce inequality?” Our research agenda in this project is ambitious, as we aim to determine whether Special Economic Zones can be a useful tool to reduce poverty, and social and economic inequality in developing and emerging market countries. To this end, researchers in Kiel will collaborate closely with academic partners in Ghana, India and Vietnam (which will be the focus of the analysis) as well as Denmark.
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following criteria:
- Master’s degree (completed or close to completion) in economics, ideally with a focus on international and / or development economics
- Excellent academic record and very good grades
- Experience and interest in the research topics of our research center in general and the project in particular
- Very good knowledge in applied statistics and econometrics and experience in using statistical software such as Stata
- Very good English language skills required. German language skills are desirable but not necessary
- Good knowledge in data management and coding is desirable, as is previous work experience in empirical research (e.g. as a research assistant)
- Willingness and commitment to work on papers to be submitted to leading international journals and ambition to complete a very good dissertation
The contract is initially limited to 3 years according to the law on limited employment contracts in research (WissZeitVG). The salary is based on the German public sector pay scale (EG 13 TV-L) with 75% of a full-time position (currently 29,025 weekly working hours). The IfW usually offers - if necessary – contract extensions to finish dissertation within a maximum of four years.
The Kiel Institute is an equal opportunity employer with a certified family-friendly policy. We promote the professional opportunities of women and strongly encourage them to apply. Women with equivalent qualifications, competence and expertise will be given preference. We are committed to employing persons with recognized disabilities and will therefore give them preference over persons without disabilities if they are equally qualified.
Please submit your application via the application form below, using your family name as the file name including a letter of interest, your CV, academic transcripts, two reference letters, as well as proofs of relevant work experience (ID-No. “SEZ”).
For questions regarding this position please contact
At a glance
Doctoral Researcher, 75% of a full-time position (currently 29,025 weekly working hours)
The salary is based on the German public sector pay scale (EG 13 TV-L).
Deadline for applications is the 21st of February 2020