The general development of the Kiel Institute is steered by the Presidential Department and the Board of Governors. The Scientific Advisory Council offers valuable counsel and support. In general flat hierarchy and decentral organization are a key features of the Kiel Institute.
Prof. Gabriel Felbermayr is President of the Kiel Institute for the World Economy. He concurrently holds a chair in Economics at Kiel University. His research and advisory activities focus on questions of economic global governance, European economic integration, and German economic policy.
Sandra Martini and Janin Berntien,
Prof. Dr. Sonja Peterson is scientific director at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and honorary professor at the CAU Kiel. Sonja Peterson is member of the research area The Environment and Natural Resources.
Birgit Austen is administrative director at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy heading the administration as well as the other support centers.
The Kiel Institute for the World Economy is a legally responsible foundation under public law of the federal state of Schleswig-Holstein. The Board of Governors advises and decides on financial and fundamental matters concerning the Kiel Institute. It supervises the legality und and economic efficiency of its executive management. Every two years, the Board of Governors reports to the supervising authority, the Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Science and Equality of Schleswig-Holstein, on the activities of the foundation and its institutions. Members of the Board of Governors exercise their office in an honorary capacity.
The Board of Governors has currently the following members:
- Dr. Oliver Grundei, State Secretary, Ministry of Education, Science and Cultural Affairs of Schleswig Holstein (head of Board of Governors)
- Doris Roloff, Ministry for Economic Affairs, Employment, Transport and Technology of Schleswig-Holstein
- Dr. Stefan Profit, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
- Torsten Arnswald, Federal Ministry of Finance
- Prof. Dr. Lutz Kipp, President of the CAU
- Prof. Dr. Till Requate, Institute for Economics at the Christian-Albrechts-University (CAU), Kiel, and Decan of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, CAU, representing the IfW Scientific Advisory Council
- Dr. Wilhelm Krull, Secretary General of the Volkswagen Foundation, representing private foundations
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Tochtermann, Director of the Foundation „Deutsche Zentralbibliothek für Wirtschaftswissenschaften – Leibniz-Informationszentrum Wirtschaft (ZBW)“
- Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Gern, head of the IfW Employee Council
- Dr. Tobias Stöhr, member of the IfW Employee Council
- Sylvia Künne, IfW Ombudsperson for Equal Treatment
- Prof. Gabriel Felbermayr, Ph.D., IfW President
- Prof. Dr. Sonja Peterson, IfW Scientific Director
- Birgit Austen, IfW Adiministrative Director
The Scientific Advisory Council provides advice in scientific and economic issues to the Board of Governors and the Presidential Department.
- Prof. J. Michael Orszag, Ph.D. (Vorsitzender)
- Prof. Ester Faia, Ph.D.
- Prof. Dr. Kai A. Konrad
- Prof. Dr. Krisztina Kis-Katos
- Prof. Dr. Till Requate
- Prof. Phillipp Schröder, Ph.D.
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Sutter
The Kiel Institute Management Board advises the Presidium in overarching, strategic and topical issues. It is comprised of the members of the Presidential Department, five senior researchers from the various program areas – each of whom are appointed by the President for two years – and the head of communication.
President: Prof. Gabriel Felbermayr, Ph.D.
Director: Prof. Dr. Sonja Peterson; Birgit Austen, M.A.
Postdoc spokesperson: Dr. Martin Ademmer
Head Communication: Guido Warlimont
or postal via
Institut für Weltwirtschaft,
- Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Gern (Chair)
- Dr. Dominik Groll (Deputy Chair)
- Carmen Andersson
- Sabine Baethe
- Karsten Gebhardt
- Laura Mohr
- Dr. Tobias Stöhr
- Mathias Rauck
The Employee Council also acts as Ombudsman for the Allgemeines Gleichbehandlungsgesetz (General Law on Equal Treatment).
Ombuds person for disabled persons: